Document 15: "Maternity Center 'Adopted Out'," Bulletin, Women's City Club of New York, 4 (June 1920), pp. 34-35, WCCNY Papers, Archives and Special Collections, Hunter College, New York, N.Y. (WCCNY microfilm, reel 17, frame 178).
Noting the end of the club's maternity work, this Bulletin article expressed members' hopes that "its example would lead to the establishment of such work by governmental authorities." Instead, the club turned its clinic over to another voluntary organization, the Maternity Center Association. In conclusion, the article summarized the achievements and the funding of the Center.
MATERNITY CENTER "ADOPTED OUT"
When the Women's City Club established the first co-operative Maternity Center in New York City, it was our hope that a scientific demonstration of the value of prenatal care would make it unnecessary for the Club to continue it indefinitely as a private charity. It was believed that its example would lead to the establishment of such work by governmental authorities. While this has not yet occurred, our activity did result within nine months in the organization of a city-wide Maternity Center Association which has developed splendidly both in numbers and in financial resources. This Association has now asked that our maternity work be turned over to it for operation. After careful consideration the Women's City Club voted in favor of this action at the annual meeting on May 5th.
From the opening of our Maternity Center, October 1, 1917, to May 1, 1920, 9,698 cases have been reported to us, 3020 of which have been handled by our own nurses. Our own nurses have made 10,368 visits to the homes of mothers and 9,496 visits have been made by mothers to the Center for medical and nursing advice and care. The report of work sent to the Club members in March told of the splendid reduction in the death rate both of mothers and babies which our work has brought about. Since October 1, 1919 we have received $8,241.67 and spent on salaries, rent, medical supplies and general running expenses $6,571.58. At the beginning of this period there was a deficit of $576.17 fully covered by uncalled pledges, which left a balance on hand May 1, 1920 of $1,093.92. A complete final report of our work for the full two and three quarters years will be made as of June 30, 1920.
Irene Osgood Andrews, Secretary
| Documents Projects and Archives | Teacher's Corner | Scholar's Edition | Full-Text Sources | About Us | Contact Us |